FW: [WEB4LIB] Children's games Web site difficulties

Jim Didonato jdidonato at rla.lib.il.us
Mon Jul 15 19:18:00 EDT 2002

Sue,

I couldn't agree more with your frustration.  We have a very similar
situation at the Round Lake Area Library.  We are using Compaq workstations
(Compaq's professional line), of which only a few have 64 MB RAM, the rest
have either 128 or 256 MB RAM.  The slowest processor we have is running at
500 mHz.  We are running IE 6.0, and have the latest IE, Flash, ShockWave,
Quick Time, and Media Player updates as of May 15, 2002.  We have a T1 line,
Cisco router, switches, and hubs, and the network is running at 100 mbps.
All workstations are running Windows 98.  We're using WinU and Deep Freeze
to lock down patron computers.  We have been having the problem you mention
for quite some time, regardless of software / plug-in version.

We installed Public Web Browser on top of IE for added configuration /
security control in May.  This initially eliminated about 99% of the trouble
we encountered.  In the last few weeks, though, these same sites are again
giving us trouble.  I made sure "ShowScriptErrors" was set to false in
PublicBrowser.ini.  When we contacted PWB tech support they said they knew
of this and said the only solution they knew of was to purchase version 2.0
(we're running 1.0).  It is only $100 for a PWB, version 2.0, site license,
so we'll probably buy the upgrade.  However, I won't have the time to run
the install on all of our workstations in the immediate future.  I should
note that we turned off script debugging and the associated error
notification messages generated by these errors in IE.  This did not help
before or after installation of PWB.  Overall, though, I would recommend
installing Public Web Browser.  Infomercial voice aside, PWB has DEFINITELY
reduced the number of these incidents; it has not eliminated them.

The computers in our Youth Services department are giving us the most
trouble.  These workstations are running through Web Sense for internet
filtering, though I cannot see how any of these settings would cause this
trouble.  We aren't using Web Sense on our Adult Services workstations, and
though we don't experience these problems to the degree Youth PCs do, the
Adult PCs do still give us some trouble.  I cannot track this down to time
of day, day of week, or correlation with use of any particular programs.  We
can have two patrons on the exact same page, sitting at identical
workstations, and have one PC freeze while the other works without incident.

I have mentioned this issue to our computer consultant, and they say Windows
XP does a much better job of handling java memory problems - the supposed
root of this whole issue - than '98.  We won't be upgrading to XP until mid
2003, so I think we're both in the same situation for a while.

Please let me know if you ever hear of a solution.

-Jim

Jim DiDonato
Head of Technology
Round Lake Area Library