Blocking Cell Phones

Jim Barrentine jbarrentine at ipa.net
Fri Jul 12 15:40:54 EDT 2002

At 10:25 AM 07/12/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>One problem that needs to be addressed is the public's using cell phones to
>make and receive phone calls in the library.  This public librarian would LOVE
>to have a device that would prevent people from using cell phones in the
>facility. It also seems that cell phone users feel they must speak loudly in
>order to be heard by the person they're talking to.

Such devices do exist, however they are illegal in the US.  Countries such
as Japan and Germany (I think) allow them in places like symphony
halls.  In the US you can do anything you want to passively block the
signals, but any sort of active device is an FCC no no.

James K. Barrentine
Information Partners, Inc.
Technology & Management Solutions for Libraries
11470 Euclid Avenue, #404
Cleveland, OH  44106-3926
216-371-2415 (voice)
216-932-4980 (fax)