[WEB4LIB] RE: The Wireless Future of Library Computing

Drew, Bill drewwe at MORRISVILLE.EDU
Fri Jul 12 11:56:13 EDT 2002

Andrew's concerns are valid and I have no arguments with them.  I do feel
that the value of wireless does out way the negatives.  I do mention the
downsides in my workshops.

Wireless does work best for accessing web based resources depending on which
standard your wireless technology is based on.

Here are different potential bandwidths for various standards (IEEE):

802.11 - 2 MB/sec range of 600 feet
802.11b - 11 MB/sec range of 300 feet
802.11a - 40 MB/sec range of 50 to 300 feet
802.15 (blue tooth) - less than 1 MB/sec range less than 30 feet
802.15 (high rate) - over 20 MB/sec don't know range.

There are other new technologies on the horizon with potential bandwidths
close to 100 MB/sec.

Bill Drew