[WEB4LIB] RE: The Wireless Future of Library Computing

Drew, Bill drewwe at MORRISVILLE.EDU
Fri Jul 12 09:59:09 EDT 2002

Karl Bridge's article is right on the money.  He understands the issues
better than many involved in the recent LITA emerging technology forecasts.
One of those people was quoted as to saying that there is no reason for
anyone to search the OPAC on a web enabled cell phone.

I have seen the interest in wireless computing in libraries increase greatly
in the last year.  Since August 2001 I have done 5 workshops on Wireless
LANs for libraries.  My most recent one was for the Nassau Library System
out on Long Island.

I am amazed at how many librarians "just don't get it."  I was at a meeting
yesterday where someone made a comment I wasn't supposed to hear saying
she/he just couldn't understand why anyone uses a PDA.  This was after I
looked up some dates and other information on my Palm Pilot during the
meeting.  This librarian is 25 years younger than I am.

That aside, Karl's comment about the laptop as a final destination as being
NO is entirely correct.  I actually believe there will not be a clear final
destination for handheld or mobile computing for at least another decade.
Karl's observations about laptops not being replaced by handheld computers
is also entirely true.  The laptop will replace the desktop for high end
computing needs.  It is already doing that on my campus and in our library.

The section on how libraries can cope is excellent and should serve as a
wakeup call.  We do not have a policy in the SUNY Morrisville Library about
the use of cell phones.  We have policies about noise and ask laptop users
or others listening to music to use headsets.
Libraries also need to lobby with our systems vendors to make the OPAC web
interface more user friendly for hand helds .  We need to push OCLC into
getting netLibrary books working on such portable devices.  Currently the
books can only be read through the web interface.

Many librarians have played down the value of wireless computing in the
library.  To do so is very short sighted.

Bill Drew
The Wireless Librarian

Wilfred (Bill) Drew
Associate Librarian, Systems and Reference
SUNY Morrisville College Library
E-mail: mailto:drewwe at morrisville.edu
AOL Instant Messenger:BillDrew4
BillDrew.Net: http://billdrew.net/
Wireless Librarian: http://people.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/wireless/
Library: http://library.morrisville.edu/
SUNYConnect: http://www.sunyconnect.suny.edu/
SUNY Morrisville College: America's Most Wired 2 Year College - 2001, 2000
Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at:
http://www.bookcrossing.com/referral/BillDrew