[WEB4LIB] TopicMap Feature in HighWire

Jose de Albuquerque Moreira moreira at unb.br
Mon Jan 21 07:00:23 EST 2002

Greetings!
I need to inform to all, the following one:

So that the initiative of company INXIGTH has greater
value, I advise to a consultation the page:

http://www.udcc.org/mrf.htm.

Is about the Universal Decimal Classification - UDC.The
structure of scientific, cultural, artistic and
technological knowledge. An initiative of Paul Otlet
and Henry La Fontaine, since 188?.

I think that TopicMap, must call UDC-TopicMap.

The Universal Collective Initiatives are recommended!

They accept my emotions, between brothers!
Happinesses to the all! The World is one!
Cópia Gerry Mckiernan <GMCKIERN at gwgate.lib.iastate.edu>:

>                        _TopicMap Feature in HighWire_
>
>    I have learned that High Wire now offers Topic Map
access

http://highwire.stanford.edu/ ]

>     This option is accessible from a link in the
center of the homepage

>            Browse articles:
>            Biological Sciences    Physical Sciences
>            Medical Sciences    Social Sciences
>
>             Browse using TopicMap, a graphical viewer
>
>     An explanation (what's this?) is also available:
>
> "TopicMap" is a special Java applet designed to help
you navigate topics on
> HighWire in a graphical form. The intent is to give
you a sense of context
> while navigating a large, tree-structured database.
>
> When TopicMap is launched, it appears in a separate
window. As it may take
> 60 seconds or more to load, you will want to keep
this separate window open
> to avoid having to reload frequently.
>
> When results are selected (by double-clicking on a
topic with more than
> zero documents), the results show up in the original
browser window from

http://highwire.stanford.edu/help/hbt/ ]

> TopicMap is based on the Hyperbolic Tree SDK for
Java, licensed from
> Inxight Software, Inc.  [http://www.inxight.com/ ]
>
> BTW: I speculated about the application of (another
type of) Topic Maps in
> navigating e-journals in a posting nearly a year
ago ! [Yes!]

>    [
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Web4Lib/archive/0102/0264.ht
ml ]

>  I wish to thank Terry Bucknell , Electronic
Resources Manager, Harold
> Cohen Library, University of Liverpool, for The Heads
Up about the HighWire

> Topic Map development!
>
>      I believe that my colleagues will find TopicMaps
in HighWire *quite*
> impressive. Give It a Try - t's the future of digital
navigation! [:->]