DSL Woes

Donald Barclay dbarclay at library.tmc.edu
Fri Jan 11 17:24:56 EST 2002

We have been getting scattered reports that DSL users cannot access our
library webpages (www.library.tmc.edu). At first the reports came
exclusively from users (including two of our librarians) of Southwestern
Bell DSL, but today we got a report from someone using RoadRunner DSL. Does
anyone know of any reason why webpages that are otherwise completely
accessible cannot be accessed by users of DSL?

We tried to contact Southwestern Bell DSL about this problem, but they won't
respond to their own customers, much less us.

One far-out thought we had was this: The numerical IP of our main webserver
is 192.68.30.200. Numerical IPs that begin with 192.68.*.* can be used for
private networks. Could the DSL providers be blocking IPs that start with
"192.68" in the belief that they are protecting private networks?
Interestingly, one of our DSL-using librarians reports that another website
she cannot hit using DSL is www.sun.com, and the numerical address of this
site begins with "192" (though the second part of the address is not "68").

Any ideas will be much appreciated.

Donald A. Barclay
Assistant Director for Systems and Informatics
Houston Academy of Medicine--
Texas Medical Center Library
dbarclay at library.tmc.edu
713.799.7120