[WEB4LIB] Re: Northern Light To Stop Free Publicly Available Search Engine

gary price gprice at gwu.edu
Tue Jan 8 15:48:26 EST 2002

Nancy:
You might want to take a look at Vivisimo.
http://www.vivisimo.com

It's a meta search (they prefer to be called a cluster engine) that places
results into folders in a way similar to NL.

Key differences:
Vivisimo relies on the databases of other engines. NL compiles their own db.
Vivisimo creates categories "on the fly" unlike NL which maps hits to their own
hiearchy.
http://vivisimo.com/html/faq.html#How_does_your_technology_differ_from_Northern_Li
ght's

Make sure to take a look at their robust "Advanced Search" interface.
http://vivisimo.com/form?form=Advanced

Also, you can use Vivisimo "on top of"  a few other databases.
http://vivisimo.com/html/demos/index.html

Finally, if you're using IE with Java, note the preview option with each returned
link.
A click here allows you to view the actual page directly from the results list.
Wisenut offers a similar option.

cheers,
gary

Looking for More News, New Sites, Search Tips?
Visit The Virtual Acquisition Shelf and News Desk
http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com

Gary D. Price, MLIS
Librarian
Gary Price Library Research and Internet Consulting
gprice at gwu.edu