[WEB4LIB] To blog, to chat, to message board, that is the question...Re:

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Fri Jan 18 09:52:46 EST 2002

David,

The primary difference is in the style of communicaton.

A blog is typically the personal postings of an individual on their own web
site. You can read their postings like a journal entry. Some of the bogs
also provide an opportunity for reader comment.

Chat is normally one-to-one or one-to-many communication in real-time.

A message board is the merging of the two. On a message board, people can
post comments and others can respond to those.  It's not as instantaneous as
chat and not as personalized as a blog.

Of course, these are all broad generalizations! I hope that helps.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library
Waterford, MI