[WEB4LIB] RE: More on Google going commercial

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Wed Jan 2 23:57:24 EST 2002

CH> The reason I revisited this topic is because I am interested in
CH> this particular mode of e-business development which appears to
CH> be fairly successful with Internet opinion leadership and
CH> multi-decade Internet purists.  The process goes something like
CH> this.  Start out giving away really good stuff free.  Become a
CH> Good Guy.
<other stuff clipped>
CH> Turn up the (commercial) heat gradually so the (dumb) frogs don't
CH> know they're getting boiled.

This is what I've referred to a number of times as

The Cocaine Theory Of Marketing

It has worked in many arenas for centuries, and will undoubtedly
continue to work as well in future centuries.

We can rant and rave all we want, but it won't go away in this
lifetime, but one can always have hopes for the next one.

happy 2002

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com 208-283-7711
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA