[WEB4LIB] RE: More on Google going commercial

gary price gprice at gwu.edu
Wed Jan 2 16:43:07 EST 2002

A couple of points.

1) In addition to the section of the Google site Gary W. mentions you might
also find Brin and
Page's  original paper about Google informative.
"The Anatomy of a Large-Scale Hypertextual Web Search Engine"
http://www7.scu.edu.au/programme/fullpapers/1921/com1921.htm

2) While Google does not sell placement/relevancy it's important to remember
that an entire
industry of search optimization "experts" work to place sites at the top of
result rankings for given keywords.
This is the case with Google as well as most other engines.
To learn more take a look at the discussions and the like at
Webmasterworld.Com
http://www.webmasterworld.com
and/or direct to the Google forum:
http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum3/index.htm
Actually, I find some of the knowledge I learn from these forums very
useful.

Is this optimization a bad thing ? No, but it does mean we should be at
least aware that
this industry exists and that many issues come into play with the "hits"
that are returned from any engine.
In my mind it also illustrates  the importance of precise search terms and
making use of the power or advanced search/limiting options many tools
offer.

cheers,
gary

Looking for More News, New Sites, Search Tips?
Visit The Virtual Acquisition Shelf and News Desk
http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com

Gary D. Price, MLIS
Librarian
Gary Price Library Research and Internet Consulting
gprice at gwu.edu