[WEB4LIB] More on Google going commercial

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Wed Jan 2 14:07:31 EST 2002

CH> As ZDNet News says in their article at
CH> http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5100863,00.html,
CH> "The company has long cast itself as an incorruptible search
CH> service in an increasingly profit-driven business--an image
CH> that helped it win a die-hard grassroots following."  My guess
CH> is that this discussion group is a part of that group of die-hard
CH> users.  Will this ongoing commercialization of a very good search
CH> engine make any of you change your approach to this product?

I can't imagine why it matters.  The ads come up on some searches, but
they're clearly identified.  I searched "computer mouse" and got to
original demo of the mouse in '68.  I see ads on CNN.com, on CNN on
the tube, and in the NYTimes.  That doesn't mean that I avoid them,
either.

I suppose that those who demo it in library instruction classes or in
the reference area should point out to the patron that there are
that already.

Happy 2002,

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com 208-283-7711
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA