[WEB4LIB] Re: non-SGML characters

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Thu Jan 31 15:57:26 EST 2002

>I think you can solve the academic validation problem with
>"charset=Windows-1252".  However, that won't solve the fact that there are
>browsers that will either not display any character there, or display some
>other character.  I don't know of any browsers that actually change their
>character handling based on the charset in the content type.  There may be
>*indexers* - but they'd want an actual HTTP header, not a meta tag (if I'm
>wrong, someone stop me before I make a fool of myself).

Well, that ship has sailed.  Obviously, browsers respond to charsets in
order to display pages in non-Roman scripts.  Also, while changing the
charset might make the actual character #149 valid, the numeric character
entity "•" still represents Unicode and is still invalid (you see,
there's SGML's and XML's "document character set" which isn't necessarily
your *document's* character set...suddenly my brain hurts).

So stick with UTF-8 and valid entities • or •.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu