[WEB4LIB] web masters in public AND academic libraries

Craighton Hippenhammer CHHammer at olivet.edu
Thu Jan 31 13:20:26 EST 2002

Yes, I'm interested.  Please post to the list.

Also, if anyone is interested in responding to the same (or similar) questions for academics (any size libraries), please send to me and I'll summarize to the list.  Questions to answer:
   1.   Number of undergrad students, full plus part time
   2.   Number of grad students, full plus part time
   3.   Number of paper volumes in the library
   4.   Number of paper periodical titles in the library
   5.   Number of commercial databases library web site connects to
   6.   Number of locally developed or non-commercial databases library web site connects to
   7.   Number of pages in the library web site
   8.   Number of pages in the library web site that interact with locally developed or non-commercial databases
   9.   Title of person in charge of library web site, librarian or otherwise
  10.   This person's library web site duties full time or part time
  11.   This person works for the library or someone else (who?)
  12.   This person's responsibilities, library and otherwise, web pages and otherwise
  13.   This person's authority
  14.   Number on web committee and who they are
  15.   Competencies this web leader needs
  16.   Attach any in-force job descriptions for this web leader you may have

Craighton Hippenhammer
Information Technology Librarian
Olivet Nazarene University
chhammer at olivet.edu

>>> "Shutt, Michelle Miller" <mmshutt at richland.lib.sc.us> 01/31/02 11:18AM >>>
Apologies for cross-posting

We're a mid-size library with 10 branches, about 250,00 cardholders and a
web site that has been growing in leaps and bounds over the past few years.
We're up to about 300+ pages. Since the site is growing, we may need to look
at how we manage the site (and who manages the site) and I'm looking for
some feedback on how other libraries manage their web sites. Some of the
things I'm interested in are the following: is there one official "web
master" or Internet Librarian, how much time does that person spend on that
part of the job (if it isn't full time), what is that person specifically
responsible for, how much authority do they have (and where does the
authority end), is there a committee, what is the
relationship/responsibility of the committee, etc.  If you  have personnel
who do this full time, would you be willing to share job descriptions with
me? Basically, I'm looking for ANY information from similar-sized libraries
or libraries with similar-sized web sites, on how and who manages the site.
Also, what about competencies? What do you think someone in this position
should know? Could know? Doesn't need to know? Send any and all info. to me
off-list and if there's interest I'll post a summary.

Thanks so much.

Michelle C. Miller Shutt
Technology Support Librarian II
Richland County Public Library