[WEB4LIB] Display/print problems with pdf's in Netscape 6

Andrew I. Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Fri Jan 25 11:19:22 EST 2002

Robert,

Copy this file:

nppdf32.dll

from here:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\Browser

to here:

C:\Program Files\Netscape\Netscape 6\Plugins

Once you've done that, Netscape should automatically load Adobe when you
try to open a PDF file. A quick way to check the status of plugins in
Netscape/Mozilla browsers is to enter:

about:plugins

in the URL/Location bar.  In Netscape 6, it is also an option under the
Help menu. In the page that displays plugin info, you should see Adobe
Acrobat listed.

With the plugin copied, the PDF files load in the browser. I noticed that
when I didn't have the plugin copied, the PDF's launched Reader outside
the browser. I have the same setup (Netscape 6.2.1/Windows2000) so it's
probably a file association issue why it works on some and not on others.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library
Waterford, MI