Cataloging Volunteer Opportunities

ed.kukulka at fairfaxcounty.gov ed.kukulka at fairfaxcounty.gov
Thu Jan 17 11:12:56 EST 2002

Bookshare.org has two volunteer positions it seeks to fill. Your help
getting the word out would be greatly appreciated!

Anyone who is interested should respond to volunteer at bookshare.org.

MARC format consultant

Bookshare.org seeks volunteer assistance from someone with expertise in the
MARC 21 format who can help us define MARC records that meet our
collection's needs. Your expertise will add tremendous value to a project
that will provide many visually impaired and dyslexic individuals with
increased access to books.

You can help us from wherever you are located -- there is no need to
physically visit our offices in Palo Alto, California. The commitment is
likely to be a total number of hours (our estimate is in the range of 15-30)
rather than a certain length of time. .

Position Summary: Define MARC records to meet the collection needs of
Bookshare.org, and assist Bookshare.org in outlining the translation of
current metadata to the MARC 21 format.

Qualifications: Expertise in the MARC 21 format. Prior experience in MARC
record translations. A desire to increase access to books for people with
disabilities.

Length of Commitment Estimate: 1-2 months

Time Commitment Estimate: 1-3 hours/week

Desired Start Date: As soon as available

MARC record catalogers

We are looking for volunteer assistance from catalogers on an ongoing basis
to convert Bookshare.org records to MARC format. This project will greatly
increase the searchability and usability of the books for our members.
Individuals can help from their own location via email and the Internet, or
from our offices in Palo Alto, CA. The opportunity will be available by
March of 2002.

Position Summary: Convert records into the MARC 21 format, using a template
clearly defined by Bookshare.org and subject headings from the Library of
Congress.

Qualifications: Expertise in the MARC 21 format. Prior experience in MARC
cataloging, including cataloging of digital resources such as books. High
level of comfort with MARC records and the LoC Subject Headings.

Length of Commitment Estimate: 1-2 month minimum; ongoing project

Time Involvement Estimate: TBD; flexible

Desired Start Date: February or March, 2002

Project Summary

Bookshare.org is an online collection of digital books that will
dramatically increase access to literacy for people who are blind, dyslexic
or have other print disabilities. The collection size is currently around
10,000, but is expected to increase rapidly after the service launches in
February, 2002. You can find more information at
<http://www.bookshare.org/> www.bookshare.org. Bookshare.org is a project of
Benetech, a nonprofit organization.