Javascript Question re: Netscape 6

Edward Spodick, HKUST Library, 2358-6743 lbspodic at ust.hk
Mon Jan 7 04:50:46 EST 2002

I have been trying to find any references to a minor problem encountered with Netscape 6.  When using it, links on many sites which previously displayed text in the status window when the mouse was moved over them now display the actual link.  Most of the time, I prefer this, but I have tried to use this technique myself to mask the presence of a redirector/hit counter and let the use see the eventual destination.

The code I have used is like:
<a class="link" href="http://library.ust.hk/cgi-bin/beyond/jump.cgi?ID=924"
 onMouseOver="window.status='http://www.asiasource.org/'; return true">

which can be seen at http://library.ust.hk/res/beyond/Asia/

All the refencesI have found indicate that this is the correct syntax, with some saying I could change "window.status" to just be "status", not that affects the behaviour.  I should also probably use onMouseOut to resent the text, although i do not do this currently.

Anyway - it works fine on MSIE5 and NS4.7+ on Mac and Windows, iCab on Mac.  Have not tested Opera, Lynx, etc.  I would like it to work, if I can use some correct syntax, but don't want to bother if I am just using some sort of temporary kludge.  :)

Does anyone know if this is my error, a Netscape 6 bug, or something which does not actually meet any standards test?

Thanks for any help!

-Edward Spodick, Hong Kong
 lbspodic at ust.hk