[WEB4LIB] testing style sheets (css) and proper DTD

Kevin W. Bishop bishopk at rpi.edu
Fri Jan 4 11:54:12 EST 2002

Hey Bill,

You can validate your style sheets here:  http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

The DTD you use will depend on which version (?) of HTML you want your
markup to validate against.  For example, I use a DTD that declares my
markup should conform to XHTML 1.0 Transitional, but your markup may
conform more conveniently to HTML 4.01 (strict, transitional, frameset) or
even HTML 3 ...

Perhaps this would be useful?  http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/sgml/dtd.html

In any case, it is my understanding that the DTD you use has less to do
with "taking full advantage of CSS" than it does with ensuring that the
browser uses the appropriate CSS rendering engine.  (Pardon me if my
terminology isn't quite accurate.)

Good luck.
-kb