Indexing of E-Journal Components

Gerry Mckiernan GMCKIERN at gwgate.lib.iastate.edu
Thu Jan 3 14:05:55 EST 2002

                       _Indexing of E-Journal Components_

      For a future presentation (and associated article), I am greatly interested
in learning about Any and All *automated* technologies used for  Indexing  e-Journal Components.

      By indexing, I mean the identification and categorization of an e-journal segment or component (e.g., Title, Author, Graph, etc.). I am particularly interested in technologies that are currently used or could be applied to identify components of Eclectic Journals such as those listed in

EJI(sm), my registry devoted to 'Innovative E-Journal Features, Functionalities, and Content'

         [  http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/EJI.htm ]

and

M-Bed(sm), my registry devoted to "Embedded Multimedia Electronic Journals"

          [  http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/M-Bed.htm]

      I am especially interested in  the automated indexing of such 'eclectic' components as audio, video, and other 'embedded' components.

*e-Journals that employ automated indexing would be of GREATEST
interest!*

[I realize  that e-journals marked up in XML could more easily be indexed than non -XML  e-journals]

    This query is part of a broader investigation of efforts that could facilitate the navigation of the components of an e-journals as well as the cataloging of
such e-journals [Presentation standards for journals do exist (e.g., ISO 8: 1977), but studies have shown that there is *generally* low compliance in print
journals. To my knowledge, a review has not been conducted yet on the compliance of *e-journals* to national or international presentation standards
[I hope to conduct one in my spare time [HA!] this Spring] ]

   As Always Any and All contributions, candidates, comments, critiques,
queries, Cosmic Insights, New Year Resolutions, Etc. Are Welcome!

   Regards,

/Gerry McKiernan
Embedded Librarian
Iowa State University
Ames IA 50011

gerrymck at iastate.edu

                 "The Best Way to Predict the Future is to Invent It!"
                                                                  Alan Kay