[WEB4LIB] Re: How to buy a PC workshop for patrons

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Wed Feb 20 15:30:18 EST 2002

While we are generally buying LCDs to replace monitors for OPACs and staff
computers, I've stuck to CRTs for the Internet and CD-ROM computers.  The
main reason is that the LCDs, at least the 15'ers that we've bought, don't
handle moving images very well.  This isn't a big problem with the OPACs
and other uses which are mainly text-based. But with kids CD-ROM games and
Internet movies, graphics, Flash, etc., plus the constant scrolling of web
pages, the LCD's tend to blur with too much movement. I've even had some
librarians complain of motion sickness with the LCDs when the scroll too
quickly.

Other than that one issue, I have nothing but praise for the LCDs for all
of the reasons stated and staff love them.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library
Waterford, MI