[WEB4LIB] Re: How to buy a PC workshop for patrons

Blake Carver carver.50 at osu.edu
Wed Feb 20 14:39:37 EST 2002

To quote Walt on this, just because he said not to:

>-This may be the time for flat-panel displays, particularly where space,
>heat, or power are issues. Dell and Gateway both charge $200 or less to
>upgrade from the default CRT to a 15" LCD panel; that's a fairly good deal.
>And, of course, the iMac now comes with a snazzy LCD screen.

I think he's right, it is time to go to an LCD.
A 15" CRT monitor uses about 150-200W of power while LCD's use somewhere in
the neighborhood of 1/3 or 1/2 as much power, plus don't put out any heat,
which cuts down on AC costs. They look "cool", are easier to read text on,
and take up much less space.

Here's a couple links:

http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/desktops/saving/saving

www.eren.doe.gov/femp/procurement/pdfs/monitor.pdf