[WEB4LIB] RE: charset metatag

Andrew Cunningham andrewc at mail.vicnet.net.au
Sat Feb 2 01:03:03 EST 2002

Hi Jeff

Jeff.Kuntzman at UCHSC.edu wrote:

> >Here's my line to define content-type:

> >Is there a different charset I should be using that would allow these
> >characters to validate properly?
>
> We've changed to
> content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />
>
> for the time being, just because we noticed the UTF-8 setting
> causing occasional problems with Netscape 4.7x

Haven't tested Netscape 4.7x but earlier versions of Netscape 4.x have a
bug. I'm not sure what characters you are using, but any that fall
outside
of the ISO-8859-1 repetoire and are not named entities will not display
in
netscape , unless the encoding is UTF-8. So depends on your content.

Andj

Andrew Cunningham
Multilingual Technical Officer
Accessibility and Evaluation Unit, Vicnet
State Library of Victoria
Australia