[WEB4LIB] Adobe mysteries

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Fri Feb 1 20:08:48 EST 2002

SP> I am just starting to use Acrobat files and I have two questions:

SP> 1) Why do files created in Acrobat 4 and 5 look so crummy in the
SP> Acrobat v.3 reader?  Is there any way to 'fix' this?  (I can't
SP> control the version someone is using on their home computer, and
SP> there are a lot of people who haven't upgraded from v.3).

Pages created in Acrobat 4 and 5 can be saved as Acrobat 3.  That is
what works for us.  You can also put a link on your pages recommending
(or even requiring) that the users upgrade.  It is a free one, of
course.

Be glad that they're even viewable.  Lots of files created in newer
versions of many programs aren't viewable at all in older versions.
Think Word and many others.  Fortunately, most of those also allow you
to save the file in an older format.

SP> When we went in and instead chose to export the full document to
SP> a new file, the file size was correct.  My best guess was that
SP> Acrobat saved the deleted pages in a section of the file that
SP> contains revision history so you can 'undelete' it.  But I have
SP> no evidence of that.  It's just a wild guess.

SP> Anyone know what caused that?

Your theory makes sense.  But not being an Acrobat guru, I'm not sure.
I'll bet you'd get a quick answer on an Acrobat list.

cheers

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com 208-283-7711
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA