[WEB4LIB] Brain picking time.

Kyle Harriss kharriss at d.umn.edu
Fri Feb 1 17:29:36 EST 2002

If your primary concern is the same as mine:

Keep the public PCs working properly, as
you have configured them - reducing down time
and the staff time devoted to maintenance:

I would not change the networking.
I would look at:

A.	Antivirus Solutions

B.	Restore to State Solutions

	Look at...
	DeepFreeze: www.deepfreezeusa.com;
	Centurion Guard: www.centurionguard.com
        DriveShield: also www.centurionguard.com

	Reboot your PCs each day plus whenever
        one is "messed up" or a user has installed
        a nasty image for the "wallpaper".

C.	Configuration Management Solutions
	(within limits, these solutions can
	 also do the "restore to state" thing)

  	Look at...
	Prism Deploy: www.lanovation.com
	Ghost Enterprise: www.symantec.com

To be explicit, I would use all three of
these solutions in combination. And, of course,

D.	Get newer PCs or at least add memory.
        Current versions of web browsers could
        use it.

And if you are on a college campus, find out
who maintains the software configuration in
student computing labs.  They share the
same concerns, but deal with the issue on a
larger scale.  And you may be able to piggie
back on their site licenses for some of this
software.

Good luck.
==
Kyle Harriss