[WEB4LIB] Re: non-SGML characters

bob at esrl.lib.md.us bob at esrl.lib.md.us
Fri Feb 1 10:31:31 EST 2002

On Thu, 31 Jan 2002, Robert Sullivan wrote:

> I use the previously-mentioned iso-8859-1 rather than Windows-1252, and I
> include the optional (but required by the XHTML validators)
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>
> as the first line.  I use names (e.g. &eacute;) rather than the numbers for
> characters and I have no validation problems, although my Windows version of
> Lynx 2.8 won't display them properly using its default character set of 8859-1.
> The Lynx (2.7) on our consortium's Alpha does fine using Latin-1.

Thanks to all who responded to my question about non-SGML characters,
particularly Thomas Dowling, who did a great job of explaining this
somewhat confusing topic.

Robert, I've always heard that the <?xml> prologue can be problematic to
some browsers. So I've always used the <meta http-equiv> tag to declare
the charset. Now that I've cleaned up those few characters, my pages
validate without problem, even without the <?xml> tag.

Just my experience.

--
Bob Long, Eastern Shore Regional Library
Senior Systems Technician