[WEB4LIB] Re: another tangent to Re: Inline forms in CSS

Thomas Keays htkeays at library.syr.edu
Thu Feb 28 15:53:48 EST 2002

On 28 Feb 2002, Thomas Dowling wrote:
> By adding a bogus NOINDEX element, you break any program that looks for
> valid markup.  That includes, obviously, validators, which will never pass
> your pages--so you may not be able to use them to see what else is wrong
> with them.

<devils advocate="on">

With xhtml and ultimately xml, the stage is being set for tags of
this sort of tag actually being useful.  Not that current web
indexing programs are going to understand it, but with a properly
defined DTD, next-generation indexes might.  Also, given a DTD, it
should be possible to write pages that will validate just fine.  Not
that I necessarily think it's a good idea, mind you.

Xhtml as it currently stands, coexists with proprietary tags just
fine, although xhtml itself does nothing to cause them to be
implemented in all browsers.  An example in an xhtml book that I saw
recently showed a page using <iframe> tags.

</devils>

Thomas Keays    Syracuse University Library    htkeays at syr.edu
Syracuse NY 13244-2010      315/443-9769      315/443-5549 fax