[WEB4LIB] Re: Use of ssi's

Gimon, Charles A cagimon at mplib.org
Mon Feb 11 12:40:09 EST 2002

This is similar what we're doing as well:

http://www.mplib.org/database.asp

The URLs, titles, subject headings, descriptions, etc. are stored in a
database on the web server. We look at the IP address, query the database,
and serve up to that user the links that they have access to. Users outside
the Library get links to databases available remotely, staff members get
access to trials, and so on.

We also count clickthroughs on the links, which gives us some quick
"apples-to-apples" statistics on database usage between the many different
vendors.

The content in the database of databases is managed by a librarian in our
Acquisitions Department, who can add and edit records whenever necessary;
the code in the actual pages never changes. The pages themselves are ASP
with PerlScript (Perl instead of Visual Basic).

--Charles Gimon
  Web Coordinator
  Minneapolis Public Library