[WEB4LIB] Re: Use of ssi's--CORRECTION

Jennie McKee Jennie.McKee at directory.reed.edu
Mon Feb 11 09:53:28 EST 2002

Back when I used Webstar (4 years ago before we got a UNIX server and changed to Apache) I used a couple of HTML commands that Webstar had - HIDE and SHOW to restrict access to passwords that we showed the students when on logging in from the campus IP range.  You could check into using those.  No, I don't think it's insanity to do what you are doing.

Jennie McKee
Systems Librarian
Reed College

--- You wrote:
I woke up this morning and thought first thing that y'all will NOT be able
to see the code after the server has processed the ssi's.
First, to recap what I am asking:
Is it insanity to to recode 25 pages of links to & info about our hundreds
of
databases using ssi's to "hide" and "show" the appropriate links when
students are on or off campus (depending on IP range)?

One of the current pages looks like this:
http://www.lib.lfc.edu/journals/a-dbs.html

Now, to see the code for new version:
http://www.lib.lfc.edu/journals/a-dbstesty.html
Look here:
http://ulink.net/plum/Home/a-dbstesty.html

And here again is the page we (3 of us) would fill in with data from the
other 24 pages:
http://www.lib.lfc.edu/journals/a-ztemplate.html
With its code visible here:
http://ulink.net/plum/Home/a-ztemplate.html

Thank again in advance for any responses.

--Nancy Bohm
   Reference and Web Librarian
   Donnelley Library
   Lake Forest College