Direct Connection to the Internet

Valerie L. Reid vreid1 at sladen.hfhs.org
Fri Feb 8 11:09:27 EST 2002

I am posting this for our Library Systems Analyst, John DuLong --

We are wondering if any library is using their own connection to the
Internet rather than their corporate connection to the Internet?  That
is, are there special libraries out there that are part of a larger
corporation who have their own Internet connection and firewall rather
than relying
on the corporate infrastructure to provide Internet services.

If so, then do you have a T-1 connection, a burstable T-1 connection, or
some other
level of service?  How was this independent connection justified?  By
saving
costs?  By providing better services?  By isolation potential security
risks?

Please respond directly to John DuLong at jdulong1 at sladen.hfhs.org.

Thanks,

Valerie Reid, Webmaster