FrontPage, bad code and Word documents

Walter Giesbrecht walterg at yorku.ca
Thu Feb 7 15:37:21 EST 2002

Andrew Mutch wrote:

> I think that FP gots its much-deserved reputation with FrontPage98.  FP98 would
> regularly mangle attempts to insert valid HTML code. I even ran into problems
> with "hidden" code in what looked like clean files. As someone else noted, FP
> often would redo your code based on what it thought was best.  However, I have
> rarely had these problems in FP2000.  It allows you to directly enter any HTML
> code and for the most part leaves it alone.

As I said earlier, though, it (FP98) is worth keeping around if you
have to convert a lot of Word documents to HTML, since it does a
better job of that than just about anything else, IMO. Dreamweaver,
when cleaning up Word HTML, doesn't make as clean a copy as this does.

Walter Giesbrecht                               walterg at yorku.ca
Data Librarian                         (416) 736-2100 ext. 77551
York University, Toronto, CANADA                         113 SSB