[WEB4LIB] Re: 3rd party ASP implementations

Raymond Wood raywood at magma.ca
Mon Feb 25 17:50:18 EST 2002

On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 01:03:48PM -0800, Chuck Bearden imagined:

> On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, Chuck Bearden wrote:
> > I'm interested in knowing about any 3rd party implementations of
> > Active Server Pages, for Win32, Linux, or Solaris, running with
> > webservers other than MS IIS.  The licensing could be commercial,
> > open-source, or something in between.
> >
> > I'm aware of Chili!Soft and Apache::ASP, though I don't know the
> > first thing about how well they work or how comprehensively they
> > implement the framework.  Any comments in this direction would be
> > welcome as well.

> Thanks to all who responded.  Chili!Soft's product seems to be the
> only one folks on web4lib are using.
>
> To those who pointed me to PHP: thank-you, I already use PHP for web
> development, and would myself recommend it to others.  I'm helping a
> friend who needs to investigate ASP implementations not requiring MS
> IIS.  PHP may well be considered alongside ASP (I will certainly
> recommend that it be), but it may be that the developers already know
> VB, so that ASP makes more sense for them.

If they already know ASP, then surely a migration to PHP isn't
all that onerous.  The important thing is that they 'stop the
madness', as soon as possible.

I know, I know, to a M$ addict, any such logical argument is
still perceived to be a threat of some kind...

Try to wean them off their habit gently - remind them that it is
important to consider the long-term investment of time, energy,
and knowledge.

=)

Cheers,
Raymond
--
"You deserve to be able to cooperate openly and freely with other
people who use software.  You deserve free software."