[WEB4LIB] How are people using your "Site Search"?

Thomas Bennett bennetttm at appstate.edu
Mon Feb 18 17:06:55 EST 2002

In some cases ( and probably very many)  I think it is indistinguishable to
say whether they meant to search the opac or the site.  Take for instance
the first two below.  Not being a librarian, I would have thought that the
first two would be meant for the opac not our site but there are 6 pages
returned for the first and 2 pages returned for the second.  Although when I
tried the search myself the number of results were quite different, zero
returned for each of the first two and eighteen pages for the third.  These
are results from searches today.

Query    Distinct Queries   Results pages
the conspiracy of byron  3  6
lynette jennings  2  2
electronic copy  2  2
Watauga Democrat  2  2
indoor stock car racing  2  2
Archaeological Investigations in the Watauga Reservoir  2  2
the insatiate countess  2  3
watterson  2  2
axp  1  1
telnet  1  1

We use Google's site search for searching our site.  For Universities there
is no charge.  The feature includes reports that can be viewed.  When
viewing the report, clicking on the number of hits for that day goes to a
page that shows the terms that were searched on.

Thomas