[WEB4LIB] How are people using your

Rachel Singer Gordon rsinger at linc.lib.il.us
Mon Feb 18 16:15:04 EST 2002

We have the same issues -- I did originally have the search box
itself on the front page of our site, with a note that said "Search
This Site:" and found that people were using it pretty much ONLY to
search for information as if it were searching the Internet (or,
oddly enough, typing in URLs). Some time ago I replaced the search
box on the front page with a link to 'Search Our Site,' that takes
viewers to a page that briefly explains search and provides the
search box. This has cut down on people using it to search the
Internet, but also has cut down tremendously on people using search
at all.

- Rachel