digital libraries and xml

Wanda K. Gunther boots at email.unc.edu
Thu Feb 14 20:38:33 EST 2002

Hello, This is being posted to several listservs.  Please forgive any
duplications.

We are Information Science students at the University of North Carolina
at Chapel Hill.  My project partner and I are doing a Current Issues
project for our Database II course on the impact of XML on Digital
Libraries.  Please take a moment to respond to the following questions
before 2/21.

1)  Is your Digital Library stored in a database such as Access, SQL,
or Oracle (please name the database used)?

2)  What format is used for your public access pages (HTML, SGML, XML)?

3)  If you are not using XML, have you looked into using it for your
digital library?

4)  If you have looked into XML, do you think that XML is the future
for databases (i.e. will it solve current problems such as search
engines and indexing of the site)?

Thanks so much for your time.

Wanda Gunther and Abby Auman

Wanda K. Gunther
Database Management & Electronic Documents Cataloging Assistant
Library Technical Assistant
Catalog Management Section
Cataloging Dept. / Davis Library
University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
boots at email.unc.edu
(919) 962-0171