Meta refresh in IE6

Greg Fleming gfleming at usc.edu
Wed Feb 13 19:17:28 EST 2002

	The quick question:
Does anyone know if IE6 recognizes the meta-refresh tag and in what
circumstances? We recently upgraded one of our machines to IE6 in hopes of
correcting some problems. (Didn't work, but that's another story). When
given a url such as this:
	http://www.marshall.usc.edu/library/relocate/abi.html
It loads that page and stops rather than redirecting to ABI/Inform. I
tried searching the MS Knowledge base but didn't find anything. My guess
is that it's because the page itself is not valid HTML, just a comment and
a refresh statement, but I haven't tested this with other pages yet.

	The long background (which I hope will help avoid the Tom Dowling
lecture on the evils of meta-refresh rather than server redirection):
Someone in applications programming for the school of business hit on the
idea of using redirection pages to help track database usage. They had
Webtrends installed so they could get nice graphs, etc. The decision on
implementation was made well above me so I was dutiful and made my links
to the redirection pages rather than the databases themselves. Should be easy
enough to fix, except the school recently implemented the EmPower web
content system and I don't have write permission on the pages themselves.
IE 5.5 is still the standard on public PCs but if these links are going to
break when the upgrade comes, I need to either start fixing a bunch of
pages or convince the web manager that he needs to change some things.
Any insights are welcome.

Greg
Greg Fleming
Crocker Business Library