Seemingly simple web FORM help request

RICHARD EDWARDS REDWARDS at statelib.wa.gov
Wed Feb 13 16:08:54 EST 2002

Greetings,

I am trying to create a web page with a form to search our Innovative Interfaces, Inc. catalog for a special purpose outside their normal search pages and I've gotten very close but can't seem to quite get there.

What I'm trying to do is create a subject search where the patron inputs the first part of the data and the form itself supplies additional data which I need appended to the patron input and then submitted to the III catalog for searching.

The current draft looks like this:

<FORM ACTION="http://cals.evergreen.edu/search~s2/d" method=get>
        <INPUT align=center maxLength=64 name=SEARCH size=50>
		<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="(WASH) -- Newspapers">
        <INPUT type=submit value=Search>

The resulting action, when added to the user input "Milton" creates the URL:
http://cals.evergreen.edu/search~s2/d?SEARCH=Milton&%28WASH%29+--+Newspapers=
which unfortunately comes very close but not quite what III's catalog is looking for.

It breaks down at the "&" between the input values. What I need there is a "+" so the URL reads:
http://cals.evergreen.edu/search~s2/d?SEARCH=Milton+%28WASH%29+--+Newspapers=

That URL works perfectly fine.

Any simple way to achieve this?

joyfully,

Rich Edwards
Innovative Coordinator
Washington State Library
Olympia, WA
redwards at statelib.wa.gov
(360)704-7136

"You will be surprised to find how much that has seemed hopelessly disagreeable possesses either an instructive or an amusing side." Ella Wheeler Wilcox in "The Heart of the New Thought" 1902.