[WEB4LIB] Re: FrontPage Web on shared server

Rachel Singer Gordon rsinger at linc.lib.il.us
Tue Feb 5 19:06:31 EST 2002

I don't believe this is true -- we're sharing access to a FrontPage
web that is sitting in a folder on our NT server, and are not hosting
the pages as a web site on our server but are publishing them to a
remote location. (Incidentally, we do have IIS installed for our
Intranet, but not FP extensions, and the FP web is not an active site
on the server.)

The only difference between what the original poster was doing and us
is that we originally created the web in a folder on a shared network
drive from a 98 machine rather than the NT server. We are able to
access it from 2 other 98 machines in the building with FP installed
and I have never seen that particular timeout error when accessing
the web internally. We're using FP 2002, but it was originally set up
with 2000. I would suggest creating a folder in a shared network
drive and making it a web from one of the 98 machines and seeing what
happens.

- Rachel

>To access the FP web as you're wanting to do, you must have IIS and
>FP
>Extensions on the NT box as far as I know.  If you're going to use FP
>(which I happen to like, but will avoid wars over purity of code and
>the pros and cons of Dreamweaver, et.al.), it is silly not to use the
>FP extensions.  They provide a number of features and can handle the
>security you need.  Give each web creator his/her own subweb and you
>should be fine.

---
Rachel Singer Gordon / rsinger at linc.lib.il.us
http://www.franklinparklibrary.org