Links to Alternative Full-Text Articles in Full Text Databases

Gerry Mckiernan gerrymck at iastate.edu
Thu Dec 19 12:47:49 EST 2002

       Links to Alternative Full-Text Articles in Full Text Databases

   I am interested in learning if any full-text databases (such as
Expanded Academic ASAP, EBSCOHost, etc) currently (or in the future are

planning to) provide either

    *alternative access to full-text articles from institutionally
subscribed e-journals,

or

    * more importantly links from citation/abstracts for entries
without full text in the database to a second party full-text source.

   As many know, Full-Text in not necessarily Complete Text, and a link
to the original source would (in most cases) provide the Complete Text
(as well as access to New Age Features and Functionalities not presently
offered in the secondary full-text databases.

NB: For example of New Age Features and Functionalities, please see

   EJI(sm): A Registry of Innovative E-Journal Features,
Functionalities, and Content

         [ http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/EJI.htm ]

AND/OR

  My article "E is for Everything: The Extra-Ordinary, Evolutionary
[E-]Journal" in _The Serials Librarian_ 41(3-4): 293-321.

It also available free of charge at:

   [http://www.public.iastate.edu/~gerrymck/SLv41n3-4.pdf  ]

AND/OR

   My PowerPoint presentations about such New Age Journals

"E is for Everything: The Extra-Ordinary, Evolutionary [E-]Journal"
from WiLSWorld 2001

    [ http://www.public.iastate.edu/~gerrymck/Eis4.ppt ]

AND/OR

 "Seize the E!: The Eclectic Journal and Its Ramifications"
from NASIG 2002

     [http://www.public.iastate.edu/~gerrymck/SeizeTheE.ppt ]

NOTE: THE POWERPOINT PRESENTATIONS INCLUDE A NUMBER OF SCREEN PRINTS
AND ARE LARGE FILES; PLEASE BE PATIENCE

BTW: For the Full MultiMedia Experience, Don't Forgot to Turn on Your
Speakers (or Headphones)

   Regards,

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan