[WEB4LIB] Re: Is it possible to boot PCs to a Web page?

Chris Murphy chrism at thecommunitylibrary.org
Thu Dec 19 12:15:19 EST 2002

Andrew's suggestion is the most elegant and best for the long haul. The
method to which Andrew referred can also be applied from a group policy
off a Win2K server if you are using Active Directory and have admin
privileges. I have not done this myself, yet, so my experience is nil.

On our PACs, I set Public Web Browser
(http://www.teamsoftwaresolutions.com) to start when the PC boots. PWB
can be configured to have shutdown disabled or to restart if closed.

The PCs are configured with a shortcut to PWB in the Startup folder, and
they have security software and registry hacks to force autologon, hide
the Start Menu and desktop icons, disable task manager, etc. Let me know
if you would like details.

As I migrate our PCs into our Windows 2000 network, I am replacing the
security software, registry hacks, etc. with group policies. There is a
learning curve, but you can do exactly what you are asking with group
policies.

Yet another method for booting to a home page is to configure Active
Desktop to show your desired page. I used this approach for a time to
display dynamic content and hyperlinks on the desktop wallpaper. If you
don't specifically want a browser starting up, this might be an option
to consider.

Best regards,

Chris Murphy

--