[WEB4LIB] Access2002 vs. SQL .. which way do we go?

Vicki Falkland rch.library at wch.org.au
Thu Dec 5 00:13:53 EST 2002

thanks to all responses so far ... i'll elaborate on some of the questions..

>--  overall performance goal, hardware used for
>servers, size of the database, nature of transactions, and transaction load.

i believe the organisation's hardware is quite capable - it currently
handles databases much larger than our intended one.

size of database: around 1500 journal titles, with fields/notes to show
print holdings (at two campuses), different storage areas, possible online
access methods (links) plus notes on these such as "remote access", "back
issues only" etc.

> .. transaction load.

does that mean simultaneous users? its doubtful we'd ever reach 50 at one
time.

>..do you plan to "grow" this list?...
>..how often it needs to be updated...

yes, the list would be ever-changing, as any holdings list. its not
uncommon to make changes to this list every day.

>..Do you think hits to the newer dynamic list will increase?

not by any significant number.

>.. who needs to be ale to maintain/modify it.

two staff from the library at two separate campuses. one of us does online
titles, the other does print holdings.

and incidentally, ASP, JSP, or Perl solutions are not available to us - our
webmaster will not provide these. its Access or SQL/PHP, thats it.

perhaps this makes our situation a little clearer. yes, its a smallish
project, and while i have no desire to over complicate it, i'm still wary
of the blinkered "Microsoft only" approach (which responders here have also
mentioned).

vicki