[WEB4LIB] Re: Access2002 vs. SQL .. which way do we go?

Jeff Eisenberg jeff_eisenberg at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 4 23:28:52 EST 2002

I may be missing something here but I think your solution is fairly
simple.  I think extracting to text to run through a script would be
complicating things and you most likely don't need to convert to SQL
either.  If you use ASP or probably any other server side language like
JSP, etc, you can put a simple database connectivity string that points
to your database as long as your web server can access the file .MDB.
This allows you to extract datasets from Access and show them in your
web pages.  If your access database is somewhere else, you can probably
just copy it to the web server when it changes.  This would also work
even if you have multiple load balanced web servers.  Basic SQL queries
can be made on an access database.  Actually, I think that is your only
choice if you're coding in ASP or JSP.  The ASP, JSP, etc script will
use these queries to get datasets from the database and show them
through your web pages as you choose.  Moving you data to SQL would
allow you to put your stored procedures (queries) on the server (amongst
other things) and not have to code them in to you web pages but if you
queries are fairly simple, it probably doesn't make much of a difference
anyway.

Hope that may help.  I did a lot of ASP web pages that displayed data
from an SQL server and sometimes a flat file access database.  It was
fairly simple, especially if your data is well organized in the database
tables.

Jeff Eisenberg
The Galecia Group
Network Engineer