[WEB4LIB] Char encoding and MSIE (was RE: New W3C Validator and character encoding)

Robert Sullivan rsullivan at sals.edu
Wed Dec 4 17:41:29 EST 2002

> To add a point on this thread: it has been our experience that to
properly
> display UTF-8 characters in the higher ranges (diacritics, etc), with
MSIE,
> it is necessary to include the meta tag:

> It looks like the encoding specified in the XML declaration (<?xml
> version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> is not taken into consideration by
MSIE.

After conferring offlist with Andrew Cunningham, I had realized that
this should be included for compatibility.

Regarding the other problem I had last week, after some experimenting it
appears that the @import method commonly used for hiding CSS rules from
Netscape 4.x will also work with WebTV.  I still have to figure out
which combination of rules is causing a WebTV meltdown, but it was a
relief to know that it could be fooled.

Thanks to everyone who sent suggestions.

Bob Sullivan  <rsullivan at sals.edu>
Schenectady County Public Library (NY)  <http://www.scpl.org/>
Schenectady Digital History Archive
<http://www.schenectadyhistory.org/>