[WEB4LIB] Re: Web page color & accessibility

Rob Weidman row3 at lehigh.edu
Wed Dec 4 15:42:13 EST 2002

>One other interesting note on this--I heard from a visually impaired
>librarian yesterday that s/he actually can more easily read light text on
>dark background...which confounds much of what has been written
>on this topic, yet is a legitimate empirical observation.

Yes, this discussion reminded me of a briefing I had on how to use the
CCTVs at a former library (my brief stint as a public reference
librarian).  Along with allowing the user to enlarge text, they also
allowed one to reverse the contrast to "white on black"

I was told by the expert that it might help relieve fatigue for a user
to switch contrasts like this.

I was just looking for some info on CCTVs to confirm this and came
across this site http://www.lowvisioninfo.org/index.htm - which
interestingly gives the user a reverse contrast option for viewing the
site itself...

That said, I generally agree with what most have said already and
personally prefer to avoid light on dark in web pages when possible.

-rob-

Rob Weidman <row3 at lehigh.edu>
Cataloging Librarian
Lehigh University