[WEB4LIB] Re: "Piracy is Progressive Taxation"

Jim Jacobs ss3 at weber.ucsd.edu
Fri Dec 13 14:30:37 EST 2002

  Along the same lines as this tread...

    Harnad, S. (2001) "For Whom the Gate Tolls? How and Why to Free the
    Refereed Research Literature Online Through Author/Institution
	Self-Archiving, Now."
      http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Tp/resolution.htm

  Harnad desribes his take on:
  1.1. Distinguish the non-give-away literature from the give-away literature
  1.2. Distinguish income (arising from article sales) from impact
  (arising from article use)
  1.3. Distinguish between copyright protection from theft-of-authorship
  (plagiarism) and copyright protection from theft-of-text (piracy)

  and much more...

  jj

---
Jim Jacobs, Data Services Librarian             voice: (858) 534-1262
University of California, San Diego               FAX: (858) 534-7548
9500 Gilman Drive   Library 0175-R                  jajacobs at ucsd.edu
La Jolla, CA 92093-0175