[WEB4LIB] Copyright books

Edward Wigg e-wigg at evanston.lib.il.us
Fri Dec 13 14:09:53 EST 2002

On Thursday, December 12, 2002, at 11:39 PM, troyj at creighton.edu wrote:
> I do not think that copyright needs to be strengthened. I would be
> interested
> to hear a scenario that someone considers a problem that is not covered
> by the
> current law. I think they are many cases where enforcement is lax but I
> do see
> it as a weakness of the law. Critical comments welcome. Also if you
> have not
> read the books listed above you really should if you are a librarian.

The biggest problems with enforcement current copyright law are almost
all to do with the fact that it is very hard for the little guy to use
the law -- large companies can afford the lawyers, small ones and
individuals can't, which ever side of the individual case they are on.
But this is hardly specific to copyright law: the rich and powerful have
more tools available to them than the weak and poor, and it was ever
thus. My problem with much of the debate is that so much of the rhetoric
revolves around the poor powerless author aching for his meagre crust,
whereas it is evident that almost all the benefit of increased copyright
protection and term goes to the publishers most of whom are already
doing all right and see no need to give a larger share to the content
creators anyway.

Lawrence Lessig also just wrote this article
<http://www.cioinsight.com/article2/0,3959,762935,00.asp> about
copyright extension.

Edward