[WEB4LIB] RE: Postcards from Planet Google

gary gprice at gwu.edu
Thu Dec 12 18:11:50 EST 2002

> "Some even wonder if Google might be too much of a good thing. 'I use it
> myself, every day,' says Joe Janes, assistant professor in the information
> school of the University of Washington. 'But I worry about how over reliance
> on it might affect the skill-set of librarians.'"

I have to agree with Joe Janes on this one.

Like Dr. Janes I use Google everyday but I also (and I hope others) use and
know about other web search engines like AlltheWeb, Teoma, etc. In the past
year these tools have improved big time. I also use specialty tools that get at
some of the content that MIGHT be in Google but can get me to an answer more
efficiently.

For example, if I'm looking for a ready reference answer I might turn to
xrefer.com or a similar product. At the same time I recognize  (and I'm sure
you do as well) and realize that it's not all in Google. Unfortunately, some of
our colleagues and many end users first believed that web search equaled
research and now have come to believe that Google equals research.

At a conference in London last week a database vendor told me that she
has heard from many librarians, "why do we need your product, it's in Google."

I also think this "it's all in one place" idea also can/will/cause issues when
those who sign the checks ask, why are we paying for this [Gale, Fativa, Ebsco,
Dialog etc], database, Google is all we need."

Like I've said many times on this list and often mention on The ResourceShelf,
it comes down a thorough knowledge of many products and tools for info pros. In
other words the right tool for the job, the same mindset a good reference
librarian has always had. Think resources not search engines.

In terms of end users some of the problem once again lies in how, where, and
why we market our services and skills. It's one thing to have a collection of
great set of databases (and printed tools) but it's something else altogether
to let users know WHAT the library offers and WHY they should or shouldn't use
them.

I've always considered the open web in general as a directory to answers. In
some cases I will find a good and authoritative answer (info quality issues are
another major concern) but in many cases I will not using Google, ATW, etc.
However, I can use what I do find to get me closer to a satisfactory result. As
I said at Internet Librarian, the telephone and now email are still vital
reference tools.

Btw, it's very easy to illustrate to info pros what Google and other web
engines can't provide. Here are a few examples.

1) A full-text article from the Wall Street Journal

2) Congressional Research Service reports linked via
http://www.house.gov/shays/resources/leginfo/crs.htm. The page that contains
the links to the actual reports uses a Robots.Txt file.

3) Google allows no more that ten search terms in the search box. AlltheWeb has
no limit.

4) You can't truncate or do nested searching with Google. You can with
AltaVista.

5) An article from Time magazine from 1998 (you would very likely find it via a
ProQuest, Gale, Ebsco database. In fact, it might even be available full
image).

6) Searching with a controlled vocab

The Bottom Line:
Google is wonderful and a very important tool but other useful resources exist
both on the web and via the web.

Info pros should consider all resources. In many cases even if the answer is
potentially in Google, how long will it take to find it? Will you or the patron
enter the correct key words, will you browse long enough.

Browsing and collection development is also useful and important. Use
directories created by colleagues where quality matters. Resources like:
Infomine, LII, IPL, and RDN. These tools are also excellent collection
development resources.

I could go on but that's it for now.

Btw, some recent web search engine stats that might be of interest.

Source:
http://www.nua.com/surveys/?f=VS&art_id=905358569&rel=true

"According to a recent study from iProspect, three-quarters of Internet users
use search engines. However, 16 percent of Internet users only look at the
first few search results, while 32 percent will read through to the bottom of
the first page."

"The study also indicates that 52.1 percent of Internet users choose the same
search engine or directory when searching for information, while 35 percent
alternate among a number of favorite search properties."

"Only 7.5 percent of Internet users said they refined their search with
additional keywords in cases where they were unable to achieve satisfactory
results."

cheers,
gary

--