[WEB4LIB] Wireless on the cheap (or not) .. comments?

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Thu Dec 12 10:53:55 EST 2002

Boise State is one of many libraries that offers wireless (and wired)
access to users with laptops.  I'm sure Bill will post about his
lib-wireless list that covers this topic in more depty.

Wireless hubs (access points) cost considerably more than wired hubs,
and the users' wireless cards will cost considerably more than
standard net cards.  Of course you save a lot of wiring and make
things much more convenient.

Our campus has wireless in the library, in the student union, and in
several other buildings.  How soon it is everywhere will depend in
part on future budgets.

We've basically ignored the security issue, since the wireless users
can't access anything that anyone in the world can't access from
elsewhere.  We're outside the university firewall.

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com 208-283-7711
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA