[WEB4LIB] Outsourcing virtual reference?

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Fri Dec 6 21:12:38 EST 2002

SB> That prompts me to ask an intentionally provocative question:  "What's wrong
SB> with outsourcing virtual reference services?"

First thought: you're making the first step on a potentially very
slippery slope.  Are you sure you have the right wax on your skis?

SB> No, I am not espousing doing this. I can think of arguments both pro and con
SB> for outsourcing. But I think it's a topic that's worth discussing.

If you're looking at 24x7, it might be worth considering.  We have a
proposal in (joint with another library) to do 24x7, but not
outsourcing.  But that will depend on successful LSTA funding.  We
certainly don't have the demand for it at present, at least not enough
demand to start it on our own with very limited funds.  Outsourcing
would be an interesting option if it were affordable.

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com 208-283-7711
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA