[WEB4LIB] RE: What's wrong with virtual reference?

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Fri Dec 6 11:11:59 EST 2002

Friday, December 6, 2002, 8:37:48 AM, you wrote:

OS> I still believe, though, that there is truth in the article
OS> regarding our sometime slavish, jump-on-the-bandwagon approach
OS> to new stuff, and about the high value of in-person reference.

There is no question that eref doesn't replace in person, and
never will, at least in my lifetime.  Also, there are many librarians
who "have to have the latest toys", be up with the latest fads, and so
forth.  Of course they're counterbalanced by those who are stuck in
1966 and still don't like having to use an online catalog (and if they
have to use one, it darn well better be a telnet connection and not
web-based).  Actually, I believe this variance is typical of most
organizations, and certainly of essentially all educational
institutions.

OS> As has been pointed out, virtual reference won't replace
OS> in-person reference; instead it gives us a tool to reach
OS> online users.

This is similar to those who were sure that radio would be the end of
reading, that microfilm would be the end of books, that TV would be
the end of books, that DVDs would.....  and so forth.  Each has simply
added to the array of methods of communicating.

I'll admit that I don't personally understand two young people sitting
at adjacent computers, both chatting electronically....with each
other.  But if it works for them, what the heck.

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com 208-283-7711
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA