What's wrong with virtual reference?

Charlie Irwin cirwin at wheelock.edu
Fri Dec 6 10:53:56 EST 2002

  Hmm - I didn't think it was "the most over-stated, hyperbolic piece I've ever read on digital
reference." In fact, it mirrored a number of points made in an article in most recent issue of the ALA's journal. (Sorry - it's at home, I'm at work.) There definitely is a learning curve going on. The initial enthusiam for digital/virtual anything will be tempered by experience. The point is that those administrations that thought they would cut costs with digital reference will have to rethink things. (Remember when we thought computers would create the "paperless office"?)

Charlie Irwin
(The opinions expressed are my own.)