[WEB4LIB] RE: Mozilla 1.2.1 is out

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Tue Dec 3 16:15:59 EST 2002

Along these lines, I have a few items in the works that might be of
interest for those supporting Mozilla or K-Meleon.

1) I've posted my first draft of a workthrough on locking down Phoenix 0.4
into a kiosk mode.

http://tln.lib.mi.us/~amutch/pro/phoenix/kiosk.htm

Caveats include:
a) Phoenix 0.5 is supposed to be out this week. I'll try and update the
code as new releases come out.
b) I haven't resolved all of the kiosk-specific issues like blocking or
managing downloads (Just during lunch, I thought of 4 more issues I need
to work out).
c) I haven't done much "real-world" testing on this yet.

Still, for anyone who needs a cross-platform kiosk solution, this one is
pretty clean. It involves some hacking but if you can hand-edit HTML code
and work with WinZip, you can handle it. Otherwise, you have the option of
using my pre-configured download.

2) I'm working on putting something together that shows how to hack
Mozilla to run in a full-screen kiosk mode. I pulled this concept out of
Bugzilla and updated it so that it works with Mozilla 1.2.1. I'm hoping to
have a help page up shortly. This would be the perfect solution for
someone needing to run Mozilla in a kiosk environment. The current
iteration doesn't include any chrome. I still need to test to see if there
is a way to run that in a mode like Netscape 4 or IE's -k mode.

3) The K-Meleon development team is working on a post 0.7 update that will
incorporate the Mozilla 1.2.1 code as well as update to K-Meleon since the
0.7 release. That release was based on Mozilla 1.2 beta.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library
Waterford, MI